2003 CPTED Ontario Conference
“Eyes and Feet on the Street”
The 2003 Conference is scheduled for October 19th – 21st at the Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre in London, Ontario. Its expanded two and a half day format will help to facilitate travel and include an annual general meeting.
Speakers and workshop presenters are still being confirmed as they are updated the information will be posted on this site.
- Dorinda Howe, Past Chair, Florida CPTED Network, speaking on “Eyes and Feet on the Street. Whose eyes, whose feet, and which Streets?”
- Tim Zehring, Creator of Crime Free Multi Housing
- Glenn Scheels, Urban Designer/Planner Green Scheels Pidgeon Planning Consultants “Designing Safer Cities”
- Jim Vafiades, President, Ontario Association of Landscape Architects “Aesthetics and Safety: Is there a Balance?” As landscape architects strive to create unique outdoor environments that excite the senses and enhance the outdoor experience, they must also create spaces that are safe and vandal resistant. Often this requirement can stifle the creative process and the resulting spaces are no longer aesthetically pleasing and as result the spaces are left unused, adding to the degradation and eventual misuse of the place. This presentation will explore outdoor spaces that have been designed and implemented and ascertain the qualities that have made them successful or unsuccessful, and ultimately determine if indeed there is a balance between Aesthetics and Safety.
Ron Phelps, 3M “Deterring Smash and Grab Crimes”
Confirmed Workshop Presenters
- An introduction to Lighting: William VanRyswyk, President Security Through Safe Design Inc.
- A Practical Guide to Safety Audits: An important tool to “Design Out Crime”, Astrid Clos, Urban Designer/PlannerGreen Scheels Pidgeon Planning Consultants & Sly Castaldi, Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis
- Applying CPTED to a Shopping Mall Environment: Jonathan Lusher, Chair, International CPTED Association
- Spatial Respect: Hendrikus Bervoets
- CPTED as a model for OPP Anti-Terrorism: Senior Constable Doug Graham, Ontario Provincial Police Inspector John Periversoff, Ontario Provincial Police
- CPTED Orientation: Constable Rick Choja, London City Police
- The Close relationship between risk management and CPTED: Dave Rikley, Cowan Public Entity
- Spatial Sequencing: James Jarvis
- City of London, Lighting Tour – Monday evening: Rick Choja
Downloadable Materials – This material is in Microsoft Powerpoint format, and for the most part the downloads are quite large, and the size is approximate.
- Astrid Clos – PPT 125,444 kb; Also see this page at the Dayton City Paper
- Dave Rikley – PPT 17.5 MB
- Dorinda Howe – PPT 10 MB; PPS 10 MB
- John Lusher – PPT 28.5 MB
- Ron Phelps – PPT 33 MB
- Glenn Scheels – PPT 44 MB
- Jim Vafiades – PPT 100 MB
$175.00, or $150.00 for CPTED members
Click here for a PDF version of the registration form. (Right click for a menu to allow downloading.)
For further information please contact John Periversoff of the Ontario Provincial Police at 519-652-4150 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org